Here in Achonry N.S. we aim to develop the pupil in a spiritual, moral and intellectual way. Spiritual development of the children consists in teaching them the Christian faith and inspiring in them a love for God and a love and respect for each other. Moral development runs parallel to the spiritual development of the child.
While the ethos of the school is essentially Catholic, the views of children from all religions, or no religion, are accommodated and respected by teachers and pupils.
A positive climate is used to motivate the pupil. Every effort is made to enhance the child’s self-image and to foster a friendly and supportive atmosphere, conducive to learning.
Children are made aware of the needs of the under-privileged at home, and in the Third World. They are encouraged to support local charities and the work of Trócaire and Bóthar.
- To promote the self-esteem of all pupils by helping each child to make a contribution to the life of the school and to experience a sense of achievement and success.
- To develop good staff/pupil and pupil/pupil relationships.
- To develop good positive and productive school/family/community links.
- To develop a stimulating and well-balanced Health Education curriculum for the whole school.
- To utilise the services in the community for advice and support.
- To ensure that all pupils acquire the basic skills of language and maths to cope successfully with everyday living.
- To teach children the skills involved in coping successfully with human relationships.
- To inform the children on such matters as hygiene, diet and exercise.
- To value and enjoy leisure activities.